Sunday 14 April 2013

Evaluation


Having decided to create my gallery in the style of an aircraft hanger inspired by the gliding hobby of Peter Lanyon I considered how to create this. I experimented (to no avail) with Photoshop and in the end decided to look for an online gallery creation programme. 

I have enjoyed creating my exhibition although at times the online nature of the presentation has been a little frustrating. I felt in the end that I managed to create something like I had envisioned. 

Choosing the art work was based on my love of Cornwall and previous research into artists who have been influenced by the county. I decided that I would like to include both historic and contemporary art.  My visit to the Tate St Ives to the Peter Lanyon exhibition (2010) was inspirational and I wanted to include Lanyon in my exhibition. From this I came up with my concept of St Ives and Beyond... a virtual tour of the art of Cornwall.

I am particularly interested in abstract art which has meaning, influenced by the life of people and landscape, thus creating and experience, an impression of a place rather than a photorealistic picture.

I chose a 'white cube' style gallery within my hanger style building to contrast with the industrial style building and to compliment the works which speak for themselves and need no distraction. 

The works were hung in the gallery to complement each other rather than to detract from the other works...I feel this worked well with the style of painting I have chosen.

I would also have liked to include some sculptures by Barbara Hepworth, but practically with the programme I was using this was not possible. If I curated this exhibition in reality rather than virtually I would include her work, as it is I feel the exhibition works reasonably well although could do with, in my opinion a 3D element to create a rhythm to the exhibition so that the viewer is encouraged to wander through the exhibition and spend time absorbing the relationship between the paintings rather than just walking around the edges and create a sense of movement and to create a further juxtaposition against the harsh industrial space.

I think creating a numbered map rather than labels for the artworks (although the online gallery does have a digital label) is more satisfactory as I feel labelling work detracts from the work and looks messy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment